We cracked an oil pan the first time we went out to Chaco Canyon because our Ford Focus was willing to do anything we asked of it -- it didn't have the aptitude for it. We needed something with:
* four wheel or all wheel drive,
* at least eight inches of clearance -- the Ford has six, and
* no sense of self-preservation.
People choose to drive different vehicles for different reasons. Not infrequently you will see something a VW bug trying to navigate ice or a racer attempting to traverse a curb or a tiny Ford on washboard roads. And we all laugh -- don't you know your car isn't made for that?
But it's no laughing matter when someone's life "car" -- which could also be called faith or worldview -- can't handle the huge ruts and harsh weather of life. In life, we need faith that is:
* steadfast and immovable as we know and obey our Savior,
* always abounding in the work of Lord -- as James says, faith without works is dead, and
* confident in the promises of Jesus Christ.
In other words, we need a hardened desert-ready car for life.
Come with me as we grow in fellowship with each other and our Savior to whom belongs the Amazing Escape from sin and death and the Amazing Journey into glorious life.